- A previously working Mac (if you don't have this read step 1 from this guide)
- A copy os OS X Mavericks from the App Store (FREE)
- A USB Drive with at least 8Gb of capacity
- This is a guide for the motherboard only. Your graphic card might also require some work, but I will not mention any of it in here.
- This guide ONLY applies to the Rev. 2.0 of this motherboard. This will not work with Rev. 1.0.
- In your previously working mac, go to the AppsStore and download OS X 10.9.
- Open the Disk Utility app on your mac. Select your USB drive, click "Partition", select "1 partition", name it "MAVERICKS", select Mac OS Expanded Journaled, click "Options" and select "Master Boot Record" and then click apply. (you will loose all the data on the USB).
- Download and run this specific version of Unibeast. Run it, select the USB you just partitioned, click continue, and select "Mac App Store Mavericks 10.9". Click continue and then install.
- Connect the USB drive you just created to the Asrock computer. Before you use the USB drive to install OS X on the Asrock computer, you will need first to do some configurations on your BIOS. To enter the BIOS, turn on the computer while clicking several times in the "Delete" key.
- In BIOS, set all the settings to "Performance Default", and then set "No memory execute" to enable. Also make sure you set the first boot device as the USB. Save the settings and exit.
- Wait for the computer to restart and let it boot from USB. Select the "MAVERICKS" and press enter to boot into the installation.
- Be patient while it boots. Choose your language. Go to Utilities and then choose Disk Utility. Choose the hard drive where you want to install the OS, and click "Partition", choose "1 partition". Click options and then choose "GUID Partition Table", name it "OS", choose "Mac OS Extended Journaled" and click apply.
- After the installation is finished, let the computer restart and boot from USB again. Now choose "OS" and click enter. The OS will now boot and you will face the normal Mavericks desktop.
- Download this version of Multibeast. Open it. (you might receive a pop up to change some security settings). Click "Quick Start", select "EasyBeast", and then click "Build". In the install drive choose "OS". Finally click install, and then agree.
- Do not restart your computer yet! Before we set up Ethernet and audio you need to remove AppleHDA.kext file in the directory MAVERICKS/System/Library/Extensions.
- Do not restart your computer yet! We are now going to set up Ethernet and audio. Download this little app called KextUtility. Download the kext for Ethernet and the kext for audio, drag and drop each kext one by one into the KextUtility app. Let it do it's thing and be patient for each kext.
- Restart the computer and remove the USB stick. Go into the BIOS again and set it to boot from the hard drive you installed the OS. After this, everything will be working with the exception of sleep.
- Especific version of Unibeast
- Especific version of Multibeast
- Special Kext for Ethernet
- Special kext for Audio
Do not use these kexts on other motherboards. Those are made specifically for AsRock G41M-VS3 R2.0.
Solving common problems:
- If you get any install error with UniBeast, a better alternative is this app.
- Set in BIOS: ACPI HPET Table to ENABLED.
- Go to the "Extra" folder on the OS hard drive and edit org.chameleon.Boot.plist and edit line 14 with <string>-f</string>, just bellow line 13 where it says <key>Kernel Flags</key>
- Update BIOS to 1.60. That's the version I'm using and it works. 1.70 as also shown to work with other people, but I haven't tested.
- If when you open multibeast, it says you should move it to the trash do this: Right-click the multibeast app, click "Show package contents", Open the folder "Contents" and then the folder "MacOS". Open the terminal app, type "sudo " (with a space after it and no quotation marks), and then drag and drop the file "MultiBeast" that is in the MacOS folder. Hit enter. Type your password and hit enter again. The multibeast app will now open.